Everyone loves Cake, but it takes a decent amount of skill to get it right. Not to mention how time-consuming it is to make. So the question is, can we create a cake that satisfies our sweet cravings while being quick and easy to make? Well Yes! Our answer lies in the Oreo Mug Cake.
This particular Oreo Mug Cake Recipe is loosely based on the Recipe that went viral on Tiktok in the middle of 2022. That original recipe only calls for two ingredients, crushed oreo cookies, and milk. While that produces a lovely dessert, it doesn’t really stand as a cake. This modified recipe adds but a few ingredients and is done just as quickly.
Below, we’ll share with you all you need to know about the Oreo Mug Cake.
What Is An Oreo Mug Cake?
Mug Cakes may seem like a recent innovation, but they’re actually a descendant of a type of cake that’s been mentioned in texts as old as 4000 years. That being said, the closest early version of the Mug Cake was the humble Cupcake with its first published recipe in 1796 calling for them to be baked in tea or coffee cups.
Another important innovation came in the form of Baking Soda during the 1840s which was followed in the 1860s by Baking Powder. Both of these chemical leavening agents allowed cooks to easily make cakes rise.
The Mug Cake that we all know wouldn’t start to appear until the invention of the microwave in 1946 which was then launched in 1967. Mug Cake recipes didn’t start getting popular however until the golden age of the internet when people would share their recipes on online cooking forums and Youtube. History would repeat itself when a 2 ingredient oreo mug cake recipe went viral on Tiktok.
But how do Mug Cakes work? Well, Oreos like most cookies are made up of the ingredients you would need for a cake, such as flour, sugar, and such. So mixing them with milk essentially creates a cake batter, the other ingredients just help to round out the rest of the cake.
Oreo Mug Cake
- 4 oreo cookies Crushed
- 1 oreo cookie Whole
- ¼ cups milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- In a large mug (11oz), add the 1/4 cup of milk followed by the 4 Oreos. Crush them using a fork until you're left with a smooth mixture.
- Slowly add the flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt to prevent any lumps. Mix thoroughly.
- When the mixture is mixed well, place 1 whole Oreo into the middle of the mixture making sure it's submerged.
- Place in the microwave on high for around 1 minute and 30 seconds. Carefully remove it from the microwave as it's very hot and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve and consume immediately.
Tips & Tricks for Oreo Mug Cake
* THE RIGHT MUG FOR THE JOB
* Please make sure that the mug you’re gonna use is MICROWAVE-SAFE.
* SIZE MATTERS
* If you plan on having extra toppings on top of your mug cake, you should use a fairly large mug as these cakes do tend to rise a good bit. a 15oz mug would be perfect for that.
* CAUTION: HOT
* These are incredibly hot when they are finished so be careful when you take them out and leave them to cool for a few minutes before consuming them.
* TOPPINGS GALORE!
* You can top these mug cakes with anything you’d like, maybe some whipped cream or some sliced fruit, or a couple of scoops of chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
* MIX IT UP!
* There’s no one stopping you from adding some chocolate chips, nuts, or even peanut butter to the batter before you put it into the microwave.
* MEASUREMENT IS KEY
* Mug Cakes are essentially still cakes, which means that their success relies on the fact that your ingredients are measured correctly. Using Measuring spoons and cups will greatly increase the chance of it coming out perfect.
Frequently Asked Questions
* WHY DID MY MUG CAKE TURN OUT TOUGH/RUBBERY?
* It may be caused by improper measurement of ingredients or it wasn’t mixed thoroughly enough before it was cooked in the microwave. It could also be overcooked, start off with 1 minute and if it’s still quite wet, add another 30 seconds.
* CAN I COOK TWO MUG CAKES AT THE SAME TIME?
* No, the uneven distribution of heat will cause both cakes to be either under or overcooked. Since they cook relatively quickly, just do them one after the other.
* WHERE SHOULD I PLACE THE MUG IN THE MICROWAVE?
* Oddly enough, it’s actually better if you place it on the outer edge of the microwave. this makes the cake cook more evenly.
* HOW LONG DO THEY KEEP?
* They should be eaten right away, after an hour or so they’ll begin to harden and turn chewy.
Nutritional Information of Oreo Mug Cake
CALORIES: 775 | FAT: 37g | SATURATED FAT: 21g | CHOLESTEROL: 33mg | SODIUM: 354mg | CARBOHYDRATES: 97g | FIBER: 0.6g | SUGAR: 76g | PROTEIN: 8.5g | VITAMIN D: 0.7mcg | CALCIUM: 175mg | IRON: 1.5g | POTASSIUM: 292mg |
And there you have it! If you follow these steps, a delicious and rich Oreo Mug Cake will be ready for you in not minutes but mere moments. Plus since they’re all single servings, everyone can have them exactly how they like. Now isn’t that a people-pleaser?
I made this for my husband and I and another couple.
We tried this tonight.
Absolutely loved it as well as my family.