What is Chicken Gravy?
Chicken gravy is a simple yet delicious sauce. We use it to accompany a variety of dishes. It supplements the flavor of many dishes. You can use it on roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, and biscuits. You can tailor it to suit your taste preferences. Below, we’ll show you how to make gravy with flour.
Chicken Gravy Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk or cream
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Chopped herbs (such as thyme or rosemary), minced garlic, or grated cheese (optional ingredients)
- Start by cooking the chicken. You can either roast or fry it. Also, ensure you have enough pan drippings to make the gravy.
- Heat the butter or oil over medium heat in a separate pan. Once it has melted, add the flour and stir it into the melted butter or oil. Cook this mixture for about 2 minutes or until it has turned light brown.
- Gradually pour in the chicken broth while whisking constantly. It is to prevent lumps from forming. Cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Once the mixture has thickened, add the milk and cook for another 5 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the gravy has reached the desired consistency.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste. If you prefer, add herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, or sage. Cook for 2 minutes or until the flavors have had time to meld together.
- Taste the gravy and adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve it hot over roasted or fried chicken, mashed potatoes, or biscuits.
- There are many variations of chicken gravy. You can feel free to try various ingredients. For example, add Worcestershire or soy sauce for a savory and salty flavor. Or you can add a splash of white wine for a more complex taste.
Tips and Tricks for Chicken Gravy Recipe
* How to make gravy from drippings:If you have a lot of pan drippings, you can use them in place of the chicken broth.
* For lighter gravy, use milk instead of cream. Also, it helps lower fat and calories.
* You can add different seasonings, such as onion powder, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper, to the gravy to give it a unique flavor.
* Suppose you are serving the gravy over mashed potatoes. In that case, you can use a hand mixer to blend the potatoes and gravy, creating a creamier texture.
* To make a gluten-free gravy, use gluten-free flour instead of regular flour.
In addition to being a delicious sauce for meats, you can also use chicken gravy as a base for a range of other sauces and soups. For example, you could use it as a base for cream of mushroom soup or as a sauce for casseroles or other baked dishes. You may also try making scratch gravy whitesauce; it’s as simple.
Nutrition Information of Chicken Gravy Recipe
This is a general rough estimate of the nutrition information for a serving of chicken gravy (1/4 cup) made from chicken broth, butter, and flour:
* Calories: around 50-60
* Fat: 4-6g
* Saturated Fat: 2-3g
* Cholesterol: 10-15mg
* Sodium: 300-400mg
* Carbohydrates: 3-4g
* Protein: 1-2g
CHICKEN AND GRAVY PER 244 G SERVING CONTAIN:
* 315 calories
* 13 g of fat
* 46 g of protein
* 3.9 g of carbohydrate
NOTE: The exact nutrition content may vary. It depends on the ingredients and portions used in the recipe.
Chicken gravy is popular due to its simple preparation and fantastic taste. Making it at home is straightforward. The result is a rich, velvety sauce that will elevate your dining experience to the next level.
Give chicken gravy a try and savor the incredible taste it brings to the table. You’ll impress your guests or enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal with your loved ones.