What is Chocolate Pie?
Chocolate pie is a rich and decadent dessert that is perfect for any special occasion. The pie is made with a creamy filling that is flavored with cocoa powder and sweetened with sugar. The filling is then poured into a pie crust, which can be made from scratch or purchased pre-made. Once baked, the pie is cooled, and then topped with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
The history of chocolate pie can be traced back to colonial America, where it was a popular dessert among settlers. Over time, the recipe for chocolate pie has evolved, and today there are many variations of the dessert, including those made with dark chocolate, white chocolate, and even peanut butter. Regardless of the type of chocolate used, the pie remains a beloved dessert that is enjoyed by people of all ages. Whether it’s for a special occasion or just for fun, a chocolate pie is sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face and delight their taste buds.
Chocolate Pie Recipe
For the Crust
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- ½ cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
Prepare the Crust
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add in the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish and trim the edges.
Prepare the Filling
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually add in the milk, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the saucepan, whisking constantly. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes, or until the filling is smooth and thick.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is set. Allow the pie to cool completely.
Prepare the Topping
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream over the top of the cooled pie. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
Tips & Tricks for Chocolate Pie
* For a flakier crust, use a combination of butter and shortening in your pie crust recipe.
* To make the pie extra chocolatey, try using dark chocolate instead of semisweet.
* For a decorative touch, try using a lattice crust or shaping leftover pie dough into decorative shapes to place on top of the pie.
Nutrition Information for Chocolate Pie
One slice of chocolate pie (1/8 of the pie) contains approximately 300 calories, 14g of fat, 46g of carbohydrates, and 6g of protein.
Chocolate pie is a delicious and classic dessert that is sure to please any crowd. Whether you’re making it for a special occasion or just because, this recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. So grab your ingredients and start baking today!