Delicious and tender baked turkey wings will be the next big hit at your family dinner. You will fall in love with turkey all over again in just a few easy steps. Serve these flavorful wings alongside mashed potatoes or rice and your favorite veggie for a complete easy family dinner!
Why You Will Love This Recipe?
Do you need some new family dinner ideas? Baked turkey wings are a great staple to your rotation of meals. Your family will enjoy the warmth and comfort this meal brings, along with all the great memories you will make around the dinner table.
This recipe is easy and quick to put together while your oven does the rest of the hard work. This turkey won’t be dry, but it will fill your mouth with a burst of flavor that you won’t forget.
You can also turn this recipe into a crockpot turkey wings recipe by forgoing the oven and adding to your crockpot on high for 6-8 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
What Are Baked Turkey Wings?
Maybe you do not have the time to make a whole turkey, considering how long to bake a turkey for your family can take. Or your family is simply a wing kind of family, and baked turkey wings are a great and healthy alternative.
Baked turkey wings resemble baked chicken wings with turkey instead of chicken! Turkey is not just saved for the memorable holiday of Thanksgiving anymore and can be eaten year-round with this fantastic recipe.
Baked turkey wings are a healthier alternative to a fried turkey wing with better nutritional value because they are baked, not fried in oils and fat. Turkey wings are also a healthier alternative than a chicken wings as chicken wings are higher in calories, sodium, and saturated fat.
There are many different parts to a turkey wing: Full wing, drumette, middle wing, and wing tip. The choice is yours when it comes to which part of the turkey wing you want to use for your baked turkey wing recipe.
This baked turkey wing recipe makes it easy to make a complete meal. Serve alongside some of your favorite vegetables, and add mashed potatoes, rice, or fingerling potatoes to complete the meal.
Ingredients for Baked Turkey Wings Recipe
Seasonings are vital to making and creating flavor in this special recipe. You will most likely have all these essential ingredients in your pantry.
- Turkey wings: 3 ½ pounds (or a package of 4 wings).
- Seasonings: Combine poultry seasoning, cajun seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and ground black pepper to make a rub for the wings.
- Oil: Olive oil works great, but you can pick your favorite oil.
- Onions: Vidalia onions work great.
- Green bell pepper (optional): Gives a pop of color and a crunch to the wings.
- Garlic: Minced or grated garlic is preferred.
- Chicken stock: Whether homemade or store-bought, both options work great. You can also substitute the chicken stock for turkey broth if you’d prefer.
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds more flavor to the dish.
- Cornstarch: This will help to create a thickness in the stock to stick to the turkey wings.
Easy Baked Turkey Wings Recipe
- 3 ½ pounds Turkey wings (or a package of 4 wings)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or turkey broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the turkey wings with cold water and pat dry with a clean towel. Add the wings to a large roasting pan or oven-proof dish. Set aside.
- Drizzle the turkey wings with oil to prepare the turkey wing for the seasonings.
- Mix the poultry seasoning, cajun seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Apply the seasoning mixture to the wings and toss until they are coated. Seal in a bag or cover in a bowl and set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice bell peppers and onions. Set aside.
- Remove the Turkey wings from the fridge and arrange them in a roasting pan.Top the turkey wings with onions, green peppers, and garlic.
- Pour the chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce on top of the wings.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 ½- 2 hours or until tender. Remove the foil. Lightly brown the turkey wings for 15 minutes. Remove 1 cup of the sauce and add the cornstarch, and stir. Then add back to the pan.
- Discard the foil and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the sauce becomes thick and serve.
Tips & Tricks for Baked Turkey Wings Recipe
If you do not have cornstarch on hand or do not prefer to use cornstarch, substitute the cornstarch for a 10.5oz can of cream of mushroom soup.
This cooking method works for any kind of wing or leg.
To achieve extra crispy skin on the wings, you will want to do a roasted turkey wings method. To do so, remove from the sauce and place the wings on a baking sheet with a wire baking rack.
Place the wings back in the oven and cook uncovered for 15- 20 minutes. Since the wings are on a baking rack, the heat in the oven can circulate and crisp the skin.
Make sure the wings are cooked to the proper temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 Degrees Celsius before serving to make sure they are fully cooked and ready to eat.
You can freeze leftover turkey bones still attached to the wing tip to use at a later date to add to any soups or stock you make.
You can make this a crockpot turkey wing recipe by simply using the crockpot to cook the wings. You may want to add a little more broth to allow for a longer cooker time. At the end of the cooking time, add the cornstarch and allow it to continue to cook until the sauce becomes thick.
After so many rave reviews, I was pretty confident that this would be a fantastic recipe.
My kids loved it.
We loved this recipe. It was so flavorful. Thanks for posting.