Eel Avocado roll is Japanese food and once you taste it, you will fall in love with it. Fresh eel fish, juicy cucumber, soft rice, buttery avocado and nori seaweed sheet – the combined taste of these ingredients make this roll a superb one. To heighten the flavor, just add some eel sauce over it. That’s it you will enjoy a perfect Japanese sushi roll that is simply a sumptuous treat.
What Is EEL Avocado Roll?
In Japan, freshwater eel fish is known as Unagi. These fishes are full of flavor and they taste truly delicious. The primary ingredient of the Eel and avocado roll is this unagi (cooked and sliced).
The roll is wrapped in a nori seaweed sheet and it has seasoned rice. Avocado and cucumber make this roll a little bold and crunchy. The filling stays inside the roll whereas the rice stays outside of the roll. That’s why this roll has an eye-catching look.
Calories In an EEL Roll
One eel avocado roll (8 pieces) has around 370 calories. The roll has over 40% fat, over 30% carbs, and over 20% protein in it.
Easy Eel Avocado Roll Recipe
- Kitchen Knife
- Slicing Knife
- 4 oz unagi
- 1 oz Avocado
- 8 oz Sushi Rice
- 8 oz Sushi Su
- 1 Nori Seaweed Paper/Sheet
- 1 oz Cucumber
- 1 pinch Sesame Seeds
- Unagi Sauce
- Bamboo Rolling Mat
- 8 oz Water
Sushi Su Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup Vinegar
- 1 oz Sea Kelp
First Step - Cook The Rice Perfectly
- The secret ingredient to make your Unagi roll a successful one is its rice. You need fluffy and soft rice to give your roll a tender soul.
- So, buy short-grain rice and try to keep the water and rice ratio almost the same (1:1). This means 8 ounces of water will go with 8 ounces of rice.
- First of all, wash the rice well and drain out the water. After 30 minutes, put rice and water in a rice cooker.
- Then, cook the rice for 45 minutes. After that, take a mixing bowl and keep the rice in the bowl. Now, it's time to cool down the rice.
- So, add Sushi Su (one ounce) to the rice and mix it properly with the rice. After 30 minutes your rice will become cool. Now, you should cover it.
How To Cook Sushi Su:
- To cook Sushi Su, you need a saucepan. Mix sugar, salt, vinegar, and sea-kelp in the pan.
- Then, heat the pan. When the sugar melts and dissolves completely, you should stop cooking.
- Let the mixture cool down and your Sushi Su will be ready.
- Sushi Su is used for seasoning the Sushi rice. Moreover, adding cool Sushi Su to the rice helps it to cool faster.
Second Step - Prepare The Eel or Unagi:
- Now, you can buy fresh eel from the market and you can use broiled eel. However, you can also buy packaged unagi eel and you can bake it.
- Try to bake unagi near 360 degrees F and don't bake it for more than 12 minutes.
- After that, take a sharp knife and slice the eel into 1/2 inch (half inch) strips.
Third Step - Make The Eel Avocado Roll or Unagi Roll:
- So, now you have properly cooked sushi rice and sliced Unagi. But, you have to also peel and slice the avocado and cucumber.
- To make an eel Avocado roll, you don't need a full nori sheet. Hence, use a scissor and cut the sheet into two halves. Then, place the sheet on a flat surface and keep its rough side up.
- Take your rice in a cup and spread the rice over the sheet. To spread it evenly, you need to use your hands to press the rice. Thus, it would make a good layer. You should use black sesame seeds over the rice and make sure it's equally spread.
- After this. it's time to flip the sheet. Flip the nori sheet carefully and add eel or unagi slices to the shining side. You should also add avocado slices and eel slices to it.
- Thereafter, you have to roll the sheet. This is the final step. So, roll the sheet gently and don't stop until the two edges meet.
- To make your roll compact, you can use a bamboo mat. Wrap a plastic around a bamboo mat and place the mat over the sushi roll. Then, squeeze the roll in a gentle way and your eel avocado roll won't fall apart.
When To Add Unagi Sauce or Eel Sauce
Unagi sauce or eel sauce is an optional sauce and it is a sweet and salty sauce. You can buy it from a grocery store. After completing the roll, you can sprinkle unagi sauce over it. Thus, the sauce can enrich the taste and flavor of the eel roll.
It’s Time To Serve The Eel Avocado Roll
Before serving the roll, slice the roll into 8 or 12 pieces. Your knife should be wet. Otherwise, rice may stick to it. Now, play some music and enjoy your Eel Avocado roll.
Tips & Tricks for Eel Avocado Roll Recipe
1) Many people use canned eel to prepare this roll. But, the authentic taste of this roll will only come out, when you will use freshwater eel. So, try to use broiled eel and not a frozen eel.
2) Before using the nori sheets, you should use the rough side to layer the rice. The shiny side will have the filling. Buy a nori sheet without any holes and it should be crisp.
3) Keep your hands wet when pressing the rice. You should also keep your knife wet when slicing the roll. Otherwise rice will stick to dry surfaces.
4) Always use a very sharp knife to slice the roll and the eel. Because only with a sharp slicing knife you can achieve perfection.
EEL has fat, protein, omega 3 and omega 6 in it. Apart from that, it has Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, and minerals. Hence, eel is packed with nutrition.
Avocado is a rich source of fiber and it has potassium and magnesium. Moreover, you will also get Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Vitamin K from Avocado.
EEL Sauce Nutrition
Eel sauce calories – 1 tablespoon = 30 calories. Almost 90% of this sauce is carbs and almost 10% of it is protein. So, it’s a very lite sauce.
Japanese rice has calcium, iron, carbohydrate and a little percentage of fat. One cup of cooked rice has around 300 calories.
There are many types of Sushi rolls. But the eel and avocado sushi roll is a delicious one. You don’t need too many ingredients and you can prepare it within 60 minutes.
The roll is a nutritious one. You can cook it for your entire family and it would be a light meal. So, slice some fresh eel and prepare this healthy sushi roll at home.
I thought it was really good.
This was so good!!! A simple and pretty quick recipe
Delicious! We really enjoyed the recipe- great flavor!