Few foods or drinks have a name as cool as fire cider. This drink has a little bit of everything. It is spicy, aromatic, and savory and has a punch of flavor and health benefits.
Not only does this drink have an incredible taste and flavor profile, but it also has many health benefits. It is the perfect food to make during the cold months to help you power through a cold or the flu.
Also known as fire tonic, many people drink this beverage daily as a shot or add it to another concoction. Some people even use it as a salad dressing or marinade for meats.
Fire cider contains immune-boosting ingredients like garlic, ginger, and horseradish. It also has apple cider vinegar, which aids digestion and weight loss.
If you want to give fire cider a try, keep reading to learn everything you need to know about this potent herbal drink.
What Is Fire Cider?
For those unfamiliar, fire cider gets traditionally made with apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, onion, horseradish, turmeric, and hot peppers. This mixture is allowed to infuse for several weeks before being strained and enjoyed as a daily tonic or added to drinks or recipes for added flavor and health benefits.
The base of this drink is apple cider vinegar, but from there, you can add any combination of herbs and spices that you like. Some popular additions are ginger, horseradish, garlic, turmeric, hot peppers, rosemary, and onion. Other people want to add herbs like rosemary, thyme, or lemon balm for added flavor and health benefits.
Truth be told, there are almost unlimited variations of fire cider. You can add your favorite aromatics or spices to apple cider vinegar and create your unique combination.
The incredible fire cider benefits stem from the healthy ingredients you use to make it. Each of the main components has well-documented health benefits.
- Apple cider vinegar has been shown to aid digestion, lower blood sugar levels, and promote weight loss. It also has antimicrobial properties.
- Garlic is a fantastic immune booster and can help ward off colds and the flu.
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and can also help with digestion. It also has gingerol, which has anti-bacterial properties and antioxidants which can reduce nausea, stomach pain, and inflammation.
- Horseradish is excellent for clearing sinuses, aiding respiratory health, and reducing inflammation due to high levels of antioxidants.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound with potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Hot peppers contain capsaicin which can help boost metabolism, improve heart health, and reduce inflammation.
- Cinnamon is also a great addition to fire cider as it can help regulate blood sugar levels and improve brain function.
- In addition to adding some sweetness, honey has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help digestion and prevent infection.
What is incredible about fire cider is that you get all of these benefits in a tiny liquid shot!
Fire Cider Recipe for Immune Support
- 1 cup Apple cider vinegar (preferably organic)
- 1 Whole garlic bulb peeled and chopped
- 1 Small onion, diced
- 1 knob Ginger, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Small horseradish root peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 Hot peppers, diced (such as jalapeños)
- Rosemary, thyme, lemon balm or other herbs/spices (Optional additions)
- In a 2-quart mason jar, add the garlic, onion, ginger, horseradish, turmeric, cinnamon, hot peppers, and additional herbs.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and honey in a separate bowl until well incorporated.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and honey mixture to the aromatics. If the aromatics are not entirely covered, try adding some additional apple cider vinegar.
- Give it a good stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- To seal the mason jar, put a piece of parchment paper under the lid to get a tighter seal. Place a lid on top of the jar and store it in a cool, dark place.
- Give the jar a shake at least once daily to mix the ingredients.
- After a month passes, strain the liquid using a fine-mesh strainer or a cheesecloth. You may strain the liquid multiple times to remove any solids or pulp from the fire cider.
- Taste the fire cider and add honey to taste.
- Store the fire cider in an airtight jar. It would be best to keep it in the refrigerator or a cool, dry place. It will stay fresh for up to six months.
- Enjoy as is, add it to another beverage, or use it in cooking as a marinade or salad dressing.
Tips & Tricks for Fire Cider Recipe
Feel free to experiment with the combination of herbs and spices you add to your fire cider.
Make sure to store your fire cider in a cool, dark place for optimal flavor and shelf life.
It is best to use organic ingredients, especially for the apple cider vinegar and any herbs or spices you add.
If you want a more robust flavor, let your fire cider infuse for up to six weeks before straining and enjoying.
Don’t be afraid to try different ratios of ingredients. There are endless possibilities.
Nutrition Information of Fire Cider Recipe
One serving of fire cider (one tablespoon) contains approximately:
- 5 calories
- 0 grams of fat
- 1 gram of carbohydrates
- 0 grams of protein
Note that the nutrition information will vary based on the specific ingredients used.
Fire cider is a traditional herbal remedy that can aid with cold and flu symptoms, digestion, weight loss, and overall immune health. It is easy to make at home using apple cider vinegar and your choice of herbs and spices.
Give fire cider a try and see how it can boost your health and add some delicious flavor to your meals and beverages.
What is your favorite ingredient to add to your fire cider? Let us know in the comments below. Happy infusing!
I cooked this
This was wonderful and too easy!
Excellent. I made this last night for my darling. Totally loving it! I will definitely make this again. Thanks.