This simple, delicious Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole is a southern classic! Shredded chicken layered with a creamy sauce topped with crunchy, butter crackers, what’s not to love? This recipe will not only become an all-time favorite of your family, but it’s so quick and easy to put together, you will be making this every weekend for dinner. Below, we’ll share everything you need to know about this comforting casserole.
What Is A Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole?
is a southern classic consisting of boiled or rotisserie chicken that is then shredded or cubed and mixed with a sauce made with sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and poppy seeds topped with a layer of crushed buttery crackers (usually Ritz) and baked in the oven. Cheese is also a common addition.
The history of how Poppy Seed Chicken came seems to have been lost to time, we may never truly know who decided to put poppy seeds and chicken together but we sure are grateful as southern gatherings would never be the same without Poppy Seed Chicken Casseroles.
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- 4 Skinless, Boneless Halves of CHICKEN BREASTS
- 1 Sleeve of RITZ CRACKERS (or another buttery cracker), Crushed
- ½ cups Melted BUTTER
- 1 tsp POPPY SEEDS (Add more if you'd like)
- 1 10.75-oz Can of CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
- 1 8-oz Container of SOUR CREAM
- 2 cups Shredded CHEDDAR CHEESE
- Place the Chicken Breasts into a large pot, fill with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through which takes around 20 minutes.
- Drain the chicken breasts and shred the meat using 2 forks.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Mix crackers, poppy seeds and melted butter together in a bowl until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- In a medium to large bowl, stir the soup and sour cream together. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Add the shredded chicken in an even layer and top with the remaining soup mixture. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese and end with the cracker mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbly. Best served warm.
Tips & Tricks for Chicken Breasts
You can also bake the chicken breasts if you don’t want to boil them.
* Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper
* Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 400F (200C)
* They are ready when they reach an internal temperature of 165F (75C) or when they are no longer pink in the middle and the juices run clear.
You can also substitute with a rotisserie chicken bought from the store, you will need roughly 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of shredded chicken meat for this particular recipe.
* You can easily add in some vegetables, maybe some broccoli, carrots, or even mushrooms. Though with the relatively short baking time, you should cook the vegetables before adding them alongside the shredded chicken.
* You can either add a layer of cooked rice first before the sauce so you can have a complete meal in one. Or just serve the casserole on top of rice, either way, they’re both delicious options. Use white rice, brown rice, or whatever rice you’d prefer.
Storage of Leftovers
* Leftovers should be allowed to cool completely before placing into an airtight container and storing in the fridge. Will last for 3 to 4 days
* For one portion, microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes. If you’re heating a larger amount, cover the casserole with foil and put it into the oven at 350F (175C) for around 20 to 25 minutes
* Prepare the casserole mixture excluding the crackers and the shredded cheese. Cover the casserole and leave it in the fridge until you need to bake. This will keep for up to 24 hours. For convenience, you can make the cracker mixture in advance and store it in a separate container. When it’s time to bake. Remove the cover and add the cheese and cracker layer and bake the same way.
* Prepare the casserole mixture excluding the crackers and shredded cheese. Wrap tightly with a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil before freezing. This will last for up to 3 months. You can also freeze the crackers, poppy seeds, and butter mixture for convenience. When it’s time to bake, thaw everything overnight in the fridge, add the cheese and cracker mixture and bake as usual. Overall baking time might differ.
Nutritional Information of Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
CALORIES: 593 | FAT: 46g | SATURATED FAT: 25g | CHOLESTEROL: 142mg | SODIUM: 900mg | CARBOHYDRATES: 17g | DIETARY FIBER: 0.2g | SUGAR: 2g | PROTEIN: 28g | VITAMIN C: 0.01mg | CALCIUM: 353mg | IRON: 2mg | POTASSIUM: 223mg |
We hoped you enjoyed this recipe, Now is the perfect time for you to try this casserole Its rich and savory flavors coupled with contrasting textures make for a memorable eating experience. Once you take one bite you’ll realize what you have been missing and we guarantee you that the whole family will all be wanting second helpings.
This was absolutely GREAT!!
Delicious. I will be making this again.
It was fabulous