Are you looking for an easy dish to prepare for a potluck? It doesn’t get any easier than potato salad. You can whip up this dish in advance and place it in the refrigerator until ready. It is the perfect dish for barbecues, parties, and buffets.
You can have fun with the ingredients and create a potato salad that is all your own. Start with the basics and keep adding until you get your desired taste. Your potato salad will be in high demand.
What Is Potato Salad?
Potato salad is a side dish made from boiled potatoes containing dressing and other ingredients, such as eggs or vegetables and it goes well with any meat. Depending on the style of potato salad, it can be served cold or warm.
American potato style is typically served cold, and you make it with boiled potatoes, mayonnaise, herbs, and raw vegetables. You will often taste celery and onions; this is the old-fashioned potato salad that most people are familiar with.
You will find German potato salad has a unique taste. People prepare this salad with a vinaigrette instead of a thicker dressing, and the German version frequently contains bacon. You would typically serve this potato salad warm.
Asian-style potato salad is very similar to American potato salad but contains eggs.
Postesara is the Japanese style of potato salad with ingredients including boiled, mashed potatoes, vegetables, ham, mayonnaise, rice vinegar, and karashi mustard.
The great thing about making potato salad is that you can experiment with different ingredients and have a new version every time. It is a versatile side dish everyone loves, and you can substitute other ingredients until you find the perfect recipe for your taste buds.
Another bonus is if you run out of a specific ingredient for your potato salad, you can add something different. However, you need to have potatoes.
Potato Salad Recipe
- 4 - 5 Potatoes (The type of potatoes will depend on your preference but new, red, and white potatoes are best for boiling)
- ¼ cups Sliced celery
- ¼ cups Diced onion
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 3-4 Hard-boiled eggs sliced
- ⅓ cups Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Sweet pickle relish
- ¼ cups Diced dill pickles
- 6 slices Bacon
- ¼ cups Chopped parsley
- Potatoes are the most crucial ingredient in your potato salad, and it would be best if you choose the right potato.
- Waxy potatoes, such as red potatoes, are a great choice if you prefer a firmer potato in your salad, and you can peel these potatoes after cooking.
- Russets and Idahos are starchier and great for a creamier texture. These potatoes need peeling before boiling them.
- You can also use Yukon Gold potatoes, which are somewhere in between when it comes to starchiness and waxiness.
- The secret to a great potato salad is knowing how long to boil the potatoes for potato salad. Fill a large pot with water. Make sure to add salt. Salt will bring out the natural flavor in the potatoes. Wait for the water to boil, and then add potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender but still firm. This should take about fifteen minutes. It is important not to overcook because you don’t want mushy potato salad.
- Drain the water and set the potatoes aside to cool. When they have sufficiently cooled, you can cut the potatoes.
- While waiting for your potatoes to cook and cool, you can prepare your eggs. Place your eggs in a pot and add cold water.
- Bring your water to a boil, remove the pot and place a cover. Leave the eggs for about 12 minutes. You can remove the eggs, peel them, and slice them.
- Once everything has cooled, you can put your potato salad together. Put your potatoes in a large bowl, and add eggs, celery, onion, relish, mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar. At this point, you can get creative and add other ingredients.
Tips and Tricks for Potato Salad Recipe
Experienced cooks know the secrets to make any recipe better. A few things will help you make the best potato salad recipe.
When dicing your potatoes, try to ensure that they are roughly the same size, which will ensure that they cook evenly.
When the potatoes and eggs are warm, add your mayonnaise or dressing. The potatoes will soak up the dressing, and the dressing will be spread more evenly throughout your salad.
When storing your potato salad, use an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. Potato salad will last up to five days when you store it properly.
Serve your potato salad when it is cold. Chilling it in the refrigerator for several hours before serving is best.
The best trick is to have no fear. Try new ingredients and taste your fantastic results.
Nutrition Information of Potato Salad Recipe
The nutritional information will vary slightly depending on the ingredients that you use. Typically, one cup of homemade potato salad will have about 358 calories.
One cup will also contain 20.5g of fat, almost 28g of carbohydrates, and 6.7g of protein.
People can sometimes feel intimidated when it comes to making a new recipe. Potato salad is one of the most versatile recipes you will ever make and is always guaranteed to be delicious. Everyone will love your potato salad, no matter what version you serve.
5 Stars isn’t enough!!!!!
Very tasty! Thanks for posting. My family likes it that way.
WOW this was so good.