HelloFresh Shepherds Pie came into the spotlight in recent years, promoting a grocery delivery service that provides everything you need to make delicious recipes at home. Meals range from Indian curries and Asian stir-frys to classic comfort foods like shephers pie.
The HelloFresh shepherds pie recipe brings in the flavors of your favorite restaurant right to your door, with classic ingredients of savory homemade mashed potatoes, beef, and fresh vegetables.
Even if you don’t participate in the food delivery service from HelloFresh, you can still make this delicious recipe at home with ingredients from your local grocery store. Let’s look at what items you need for the HelloFresh pub-style shepherds pie and what steps you need to follow to create the savory dish in your kitchen.
What Is HelloFresh Shepherds Pie?
HellFresh shepherds pie is very similar to other shepherds pie recipes out there. It’s essentially a savory pie containing a bottom layer of beef and vegetables, topped with a hefty layer of golden brown mashed potatoes. However, you can still consider it a shepherd’s pie if you omit the beef. Mushrooms make a great meat replacement for this pie.
Shepherds pie, or cottage pie, is much different than a pot pie, which typically contains a crust. This savory pie is crustless and relies solely on the sticky mashed potato layer to keep everything together.
Shepherds Pie Recipe with Cheddar and Mashed Potatoes
- 1 pound Cubed gold potatoes
- ¼ cups Milk
- 2 Tbsp Sour cream
- ½ cups Shredded parmesan (or cheddar cheese)
Meat and Vegetable Filling:
- 10 oz Ground beef (or 8 oz of button mushrooms)
- ½ cups Peas
- 1 cup Chopped carrots
- 1 Chopped yellow onion
- 2 Minced garlic cloves
- ½ Tbsp Thyme
- 2 units Chicken, vegetable or beef concentrate
- 3 Tbsp Tomato paste (or 1 ½ cups of crushed tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 2-3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse and dry all of your fresh produce.
- Preheat your oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a large pot, put it on your stove, fill it with water and salt the water.
- Cut up your potatoes into cubes. You can peel them if you want, but it isn’t necessary. Put the potatoes into the pot of water, ensuring the potatoes are below the water line. Boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender. It can take up to 20 minutes.
- Pull the potatoes from the heat, drain them, and put them back into your pot. Mash them and add your sour cream and butter. Mash until the potatoes are smooth. Add milk if they are too dry. Mix in half of your cheese and set the potatoes aside.
- While your potatoes boil and cook, chop up your carrots, onions, and thyme. Put some olive oil in a skillet pan on medium heat. Add your carrots, onions, garlic, and mushrooms if you are using them. Cook for about 5 minutes and stir in the thyme.
- Add your ground beef into the pan with the vegetables, stir it occasionally, and cook until the ground beef is brown. Season with more salt and pepper. (Skip if you aren’t using meat.)
- Stir flour into the mixture until combined. Stir tomato paste or crushed tomatoes into the mixture if you want to use them. Pour your concentrate into the pan and about ½ cup of water. Stir everything for about 2 to 3 minutes until it thickens.
- Pour the meat and vegetable mixture into a casserole dish and level it out. Spread your mashed potatoes on top of the meat, and then top it with the rest of your cheese. If the pan you were using to cook is oven-proof, layer the mashed potatoes there.
- Put your finished shepherd’s pie into the oven for about five minutes, until the top is light brown and the cheese is bubbly and melted. Use the broil setting if you have it.
- Remove the shepherd’s pie from the oven, allow it to sit for a few minutes, then slice and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks for Shepherds Pie Recipe with Cheddar and Mashed Potatoes
Here are some things to keep in mind when cooking and putting your shepherd’s pie together.
- Your mashed potatoes need to be very firm for the pie to stay together. Only add your milk one tablespoon at a time to ensure you don’t drown them. Stop when the mashed potatoes are stiff but spreadable.
- If your meat filling seems too soupy, add a little more flour.
- Feel free to swap out your fresh vegetables for frozen ones. Just be aware that they have more water content, so you might need to simmer everything in your pan a little longer.
- You might need to simmer longer if you use crushed tomatoes.
- Lamb is a great meat to use instead of beef.
- If you’re a vegetarian or don’t want meat, adding lentils to your mixture is a great way to add protein. One cup of lentils has 17.9 grams of protein!
Nutrition Information of Shepherds Pie Recipe
Here is general nutrition information on a HelloFresh shepherd’s pie. Information can vary depending on your substitutions.
- 580 calories
- 54 grams of carbohydrates
- 26 grams of fat
- 34 grams of protein
- 440 milligrams of sodium
- 115 milligrams of cholesterol
- 6 grams of fiber
- 7 grams of sugar
- 1400 milligrams of potassium, 19% of your daily calcium, and 25% of your daily iron
Most of the protein comes from ground beef, accounting for 21.3 grams of protein per three ounces. Milk products account for most of the remaining protein.
Shepherd’s pie is the perfect stomach-filling meal to make, and it’s something that most people like because of its simple ingredients. It’s also easy to make, with most of the cooking taking place in one pan, making it a great recipe if you’re a little rusty on culinary skills. Grab your ingredients and make the HelloFresh shepherd’s pie for your next delicious dinner.
This is a big hit! I usually stick to the recipe
I could give this a 10
Thank you for lovely recipe.