Sopa de mariscos, which means seafood soups, remain among the best and most favorite recipes in most countries. Many individuals prefer these meals for their tasty flavors and the nutritious value they provide for the body. Sopa de mariscos is one of the most popular seafood soups you can enjoy in hotels or on vacation.
Besides enjoying this seafood soup, it has an easy recipe allowing you to prepare the soup easily at home to enjoy with your family or friends. Read through this article to understand what you require and how to prepare Caldo de mariscos.
What is Sopa de Mariscos?
Consome de mariscos is one of the popular and nutritious seafood soups. The seafood soup traditionally originates from the State of Veracruz, Gulf of Mexico, and is popular globally. The food consists of various ingredients that make the soup delicious and creamy.
Fresh seafood, fish, and shrimp are the common ingredients you can add to the recipe to enhance the taste and flavor. In addition, the recipe may contain ripe tomatoes to add more flavor and freshness to the soup.
Let’s look at how to prepare Sopa de mariscos.
Sopa De Mariscos - Spanish Seafood Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 medium-diced carrots
- 1 ear of fresh corn
- 1 stalk of halved and diced celery
- 6 cups chicken stock that may include the Swanson
- 10 oz diced tomatoes having green chile peppers
- 10 oz green chile peppers with cilantro and lime
- 1 ancho diced chile pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 fresh littleneck clams
- 1 peeled and sliced avocado
- 1 pound fresh mussels
- ¼ cups fresh chopped cilantro
- ¾ pounds peeled and deveined fresh shrimp
- 1 pound fresh cod Cut the cod into bite-sized pieces
- Place the olive oil in an appropriate stockpot and heat it over a medium heat source. After the olive oil heats, you can add onions and start cooking them.
- Cook the onions appropriately for 5 to 7 minutes until they turn translucent. You can add garlic to cook for appropriately 1 minute until they get fragrant.
- After the garlic and onions, cook in the olive oil, add corn, carrots, and celery. It'll be good to continue stirring the ingredients as they cook in the olive oil. Cook these ingredients for approximately 5 minutes until they get soft. Ensure they get soft before adding other ingredients to ensure that you achieve better consistency.
- After the food gets soft, you can add tomatoes, chicken stock, chili powder, or ancho chili. You can also add cumin and celery before boiling the ingredients. Ensure that you reduce the heat and cover the food. Allow these ingredients or food to simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
- While the other ingredients and foods are simmering or cooking, you can start preparing the mussels and clams. The preparation involves placing the food in a bowl full of water. Placing the clams and mussels in the cold water helps to filter out dirt, especially sand.
- Get the mussels and clams from the cold water and drain the excess water. After draining the water from the food, you can add them to your soup. Then stir in shrimp and cod. Cover and allow the food to boil until the cod turns flaky.
- Experts recommend boiling the food for five to ten minutes until the shrimp gets pink while the clams and mussels open up. When the food is ready, you can serve it immediately or top it up with avocado and cilantro.
Tricks and Tips for Sopa De Mariscos
While preparing this seafood soup, we’ve got multiple tricks and tips that can help you enhance the flavor of the meals. Below are some tips and tricks you can apply when preparing this soup.
You enhance the flavor by saving the shrimp shells and tails. Wrap them in cheesecloth before adding them to your simmering soup. Remember to remove them from your soup before or when adding the seafood.
You can substitute cod with tilapia or snapper if you desire.
Always serve the soup as a main dish during lunch and dinner or as a starter on smaller plates.
Include ripe tomatoes. These vegetables add more freshness and flavor to the seafood soup.
Serve the soups with garlic and a delicious toast to enjoy the contrasting crunchy texture and the tasty soup.
Add some grated cheese to the soup to enhance the great flavor blending well with the ingredients.
Nutritious Facts of Sopa De Mariscos
Sopa de mariscos is one of the most nutritious seafood soups. The soup has a wide range of vital nutrients for your different body functions and growth. Let’s look at some nutrition facts per serving of consome de mariscos per serving.
Total fat – 10 g
Saturated fat -2 g
Sodium – 925 mg
Cholesterol – 112 mg
Dietary fiber – 4 g
Total carbohydrate – 16 g
Protein – 33 g
Total sugars – 2 g
Vitamin C – 24 mg
Calcium – 96 mg
Potassium – 872 mg
Iron – 14 mg
Sopa de mariscos is one the most nutritious seafood you can enjoy in your diet. Besides being nutritive, the soup has easy varieties that make it easy to prepare and include in your diet. Above is a comprehensive guide on the ingredients, nutritional facts, and how to prepare this seafood soup. You can enjoy the soup as a starter or main meal.
I made this last night and it was pretty easy.
Both economical and easy to make. Thanks for posting.
I followed the recipe exactly and this was very sweet