Corn cakes are stapled sweets in Brazil, mainly during the winter season. You will find more corn cake recipes than the people living in the country. You will find different recipes made of guava, with cheese, coconut, canned corn, fresh corn, and fuba which is cornmeal. You can eat different flavored corn cakes every day and you will never get tired of them. Today, I’m sharing one of the best corn cake recipes that I like to make for the holiday season.
This recipe is super moist, full of corn flavor, and sweet and you will get the taste of coconut (both shredded and coconut milk), which will make you lick your fingers even after the crumbs are gone. The best thing about this recipe is the easy way you can make it. You won’t need a mix just your blender will do the trick.
However, the hardest part of the recipe is when you have to cool it. It’s like my mother telling me not to eat the hot cake because it will give me a stomach ache. It takes a huge self-control for me to hold myself until the cake cools down and I can gobble it down. The main reason is the smell, which makes it feel hard to resist.
But if you are brave, you can hold until the cake cools off, and I think you should. When the cake cools off, you will get the best flavor from it. Let’s know more about this recipe and how to make it.
WHAT IS A CORN CAKE?
When you are asking what is a corn cake? You must know, these refer to various things, including a flat plan fried corn cake called Johnny cake, a corn-flavored dish baked in the oven that looks like a cake, or a fluffy pancake infused with sweet corn. All of these types are made in different parts of America and Brazil. You can also make corn cakes easily at home, and you will find fun variations of the recipe. Mainly corn cakes are served with molasses or maple syrup.
CORNBREAD VS BRAZILIAN CORN CAKE
There are differences between sweet corncake and Cornbread. When I didn’t know how to make a corn cake, I was confused about the ingredients. But when I finally bagged the recipe for corn cakes from my colleague I couldn’t wait to take a bit of the hot piece of cake. It burned my tongue but it was worth it.
So what are the differences between a corn cake and cornbread? Cornbread made in Brazil is known as Broa de Milho. This is not the same as the Americans make. This is somehow different than the ones you will eat in the USA. The texture may be similar, but the Brazilian version is sweeter, and when you taste it you will immediately understand the difference.
Also, you will find mexican corn cake to be different as they might taste like classic food. You can eat mexican sweet corn cakes on any lazy afternoon and you may fall in love with the flavor. No matter the sweet corn recipe you bake, make sure to have it with chili, and there are endless options you can have.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST CORN?
I’m a person who will always look for the best option when it comes to baking. For the corn cake, I make, I will choose mexican corn meal and fresh corn. Although mexican corn dessert ingredients will not be tough to find, a fresh cob is a lot harder thing to find in the market.
* Once the corn is harvested from the field the farmers leave it to dry under the sun. So, when you finally buy it and pull on the husks they peel easily and you get the kernels. And after that, you pull on the husk and then toss it in the bin just to enrage the vendors and other shoppers. Try not to do that. You just have to find the right corn look at the husk and hold it.
* Look for bright green husks, that are wrapped around the cob and it’s a bit damp.
* You can look for husks that have brown holes in them. Those are wormholes, so you need to avoid those cobs.
* Look for tassels that look fresh and not worn out. You have to touch them to feel the softness, so you will know the cob is fresh.
* You squeeze the kernels just to check if the cob is fresh and soft. It should be plump and filled. If you see holes in the kernels, avoid them.
* Once you have found the best corn, wrap it securely in a plastic bag, and store it in a refrigerator. This way they don’t dry out. You can keep the cob for 3 to 4 days if you refrigerate the corn.
Sweet Corn Cake Recipe
- 2½ cups corn kernels
- 1 cup milk (Leave skimmed for a different recipe. Use whole milk)
- ½ cups coconut milk
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 big eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are asking for Cook Time: How many minutes, it will take 50 minutes of baking.
- But before that, you will have to take a 10-inch pan, and dust it with butter then with all-purpose flour. Keep it aside.
- Next, mix the whole milk, and corn kernels in a blender and make a smooth paste.
- Add the salt, coconut, eggs, oil, sugar, cornmeal, and coconut milk, and combine the ingredients properly.
- Add the baking powder and mix it once again.
- Now pour the batter into the pan and bake it for 50 minutes.
- After the timer goes off, remove the pan and cool it for 20 minutes. Serve it only after the cake cools off.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR CORN CAKE
So, here are some tips if you want the best corn for the corn cake.
* You can freeze the cake for two to three months. I like to store them in separate slices. This way I can taste the cake in small amounts. After you get the cake out of the freezer, allow it to gain room temperature and then dive in.
* After you complete the baking, you need to transfer the cake to a rack for 15 to 20 minutes.
NUTRITION INFORMATION OF CORN CAKE
Corn cakes contain thirty-five calories per nine-gram serving. This serving is filled with 7.5 gm of carbohydrates, 0.7 gm of protein, and 0.2 gm of fat. The other nutrition is 0.2 gm dietary fiber and 2.1 gm sugar.
The corn cake recipe is very easy and the result will always be delicious. In this article, I have detailed everything you need to know about the recipe and more. I hope you will find this recipe useful and can make your next baking recipe delicious.
Wow, this dish was super easy and tasted amazing. Thank you for posting this recipe! I will surely use it again and again.
I made this. It was delicious.
I could give this a 10