There is something about the smell of a beautiful eye of round roast straight out of the oven that conjures up happy memories. Between the richness of the beef, the incredible aroma, and the delicious gravy, what is there not to love?
This eye-of-round roast beef recipe is simple yet delicious. Even better, this recipe comes together quickly and won’t have you spending a fortune on ingredients. The hardest part of the whole recipe is patiently waiting for the roast to come out of the oven!
I’ve included a bonus gravy recipe and an easy way to add some delicious vegetables to this roast dinner for a full meal. I promise this roast beef recipe will leave you and your family salivating and craving seconds.
What Is Eye of Round Roast Beef?
Before we dive into the deliciousness of this eye-of-round roast beef recipe, let’s talk about what this cut of meat is. The eye of the round comes from the hind legs or rump area of cattle, which is the top-round roast. It is a leaner cut with less marbling and can sometimes be tough if cooked improperly, though not as tough as bottom round roast, which is leaner meat.
This cut is more budget-friendly than most cuts of beef. As a result, many people ignore it in favor of more expensive cuts.
Since this cut can be tougher, it is traditionally used for roast beef, slow cooking, or thinly sliced for sandwiches. But with the right recipe and cooking method, the eye-of-round steaks can be tender and succulent. Using this recipe, you can turn a top-round roast into something incredible.
Tender Eye of Round Roast Beef
- 3-4 pounds Eye of round beef roast
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Smoked paprika
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Tbsp Softened butter
- 2 Onions
- 2 Celery stalks
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried rosemary
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Beef broth
- Red wine
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- Cut the carrots, onions, and celery into bite-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, smoked paprika, pepper, thyme, and rosemary to make the seasoning blend. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. The oven rack should be on the lowest rung of the oven.
- Pat the roast dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the eye of the round roast with olive oil. Once you have covered it in oil, rub the seasoning blend on the roast, covering all sides evenly.
- Place the eye-of-round roast in a roasting pan, fat side up. Use a roasting rack if you have one. Pour beef broth and a red wine splash into the roasting pan's bottom and the vegetables. The liquid is essential to keep the roast moist and tender.
- Once the oven is preheated, put the roast in the 500-degree oven for 15 minutes. The first 15 minutes at a high temperature will give your roast a beautiful crust
- After 15 minutes, decrease the temperature to 300 degrees F and cook the roast for another 40-50 minutes or until it reaches 130 degrees internally.
- Let the eye-of-round roast rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Remove the vegetables from the roasting pan and put them in a serving bowl.
- Pour any liquid and fond from the roasting pan into a saucepan. Add any juices from slicing the beef to the saucepan.
- Turn the stove to medium heat and add the red wine and beef broth to the pan drippings.
- Add a paste of equal parts of flour and softened butter. Whisk the gravy until it begins to thicken. If the sauce is not thickening, add additional flour and butter.
- Once the gravy is thick, it is ready to serve. Enjoy it with roast beef and veggies.
Tips & Tricks for Eye of Round Roast Beef
Here are a few tips that will help make your eye of round roast truly delectable!
- Let your roast sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cooking it. Letting the roast warm up before going in the oven allows for a more even cook.
- Make sure to let the eye-of-round roast rest before slicing, as this helps keep the juices in and ensures a tender cut of meat.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the eye-of-round roast’s internal temperature for accuracy and doneness. Cooking without a meat thermometer runs the risk of overcooking the roast.
- When making the seasoning blend, feel free to use your favorite seasonings. You can use almost any seasoning for this roast beef recipe.
- If you want a crispier crust on the eye-of-round roast, rub mustard onto it before adding the seasoning blend.
- Serve this roast beef recipe with roasted or mashed potatoes for a delicious and filling meal.
- A good amount of meat is about 1/2 pound of roast beef per person. This amount may seem like a lot, but it ensures you will have incredible leftovers. You can make fantastic roast beef sandwiches with this recipe.
Nutrition Information of Eye of Round Roast Beef
This eye-of-round roast beef recipe serves 8-10 people. Each serving has 334 calories, 17 grams of fat, 4 grams of carbohydrates, and 34 grams of protein. This dish is also a good source of iron.
This eye-of-round roast beef recipe is a delicious and easy dish to make for any occasion. It is tender, flavorful, and packed with nutrients. Adding some vegetables to the roasting pan gives you a well-rounded meal without any additional effort.
I highly encourage you to make the gravy. The additional effort is worth it and takes this recipe to the next level. Combined with the roast, some mashed potatoes, and a salad, this dish makes a complete meal.
What is your favorite roast beef recipe? Let us know in the comments below. Happy cooking!
This is an excellent recipe!
I had 4 People over for dinner last night and every one of them enjoyed this recipe. Loved it, thank you.
Really good, everyone enjoyed this dish. Very tender with lots of flavor. Will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!