How To Make a White Trash Chex Mix Recipe: Everything You Need to Know
When it comes to snack foods, few are as iconic and beloved as Chex Mix. It’s a crunchy, savory, and often spicy snack popular among partygoers and couch potatoes alike. But when the holidays roll around, or when you’re in the mood for something a little sweeter, making our homemade White Trash Chex Mix recipe is likely to hit the spot like no other.
Want to impress your friends, family, or dinner guests with a sweet treat they’re sure to love? Follow our recipe below for our White Trash recipe to have everyone coming back for more.
What Is White Trash Chex Mix?
If you’ve never had White Trash Chex Mix before, you might be wondering what exactly it is. In short, our White Trash recipe is a sweet and salty snack usually made with Chex cereal, pretzels, nuts, and chocolate. The mix is then coated in a homemade or store-bought white chocolate sauce, giving it a sweet and rich flavor as it cools.
There’s a good chance you’ve enjoyed White Trash Chex Mix under another name. It’s also popularly referred to as puppy chow, a Texas trash recipe, Christmas Chex Mix, or Christmas reindeer crack.
White Trash Chex Mix is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re looking for something to bring to a festive party or want a tasty treat to enjoy at home. But the best part about this recipe—besides being delicious!—is that it’s super easy to make!
Plus, you can adjust the recipe with your favorite mix-ins as you see fit. Allergic to nuts? Swap for pumpkin seeds! Not a fan of M&Ms? Try Reese’s Pieces instead! Some other fan-favorite additions include raisins, alternative cereal types like Cheerios, or peanut butter pretzels. The options are endless, and they all taste delicious.
White Trash Chex Mix Recipe
- 1 cup White chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 4 cups Chex cereal (any variety will do)
- 2 cups Mini pretzel knots or sticks
- 1 cup Nuts (we love peanuts or cashews!)
- 2 cups M&Ms
- 2 teaspoons Coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 package White chocolate chips or white almond bark
Ready to make your White Trash recipe? Here's everything you need to know:
- In a large bowl, measure out and mix the white chocolate chips, peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
- If the mixture is too thick, microwave it for 30 seconds until it's smooth and pourable.
- You can continue to heat the mixture in 30-second increments if it's taking a bit longer to thin out.
- Add the cereal, pretzels, nuts and M&Ms to the bowl and mix everything until it's evenly coated in the chocolate peanut butter mixture.
- Before the mixture gets too cool, spread it out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat mat and allow it to cool and set for 30 minutes to an hour.
- To speed up the cooling process, throw it in the refrigerator or even the freezer.
- Once cooled, break up any large clumps to create smaller, poppable clusters and store the White Trash Chex Mix in an airtight container at room temperature.
Tips and Tricks for White Trash Chex Mix Recipe
Making our White Trash Chex Mix recipe is pretty straightforward, but here are a few tips and tricks to help ensure your snack comes out perfectly every time:
Mix It Up
As we mentioned earlier, feel free to mix up the ingredients to fit your preferences. If you’re not a fan of M&Ms, try using Reese’s Pieces instead. And if you want to add a little extra crunch, consider swapping out some of the cereal for Cheerios.
Grocery Store Shortcuts
If you’re short on time, you can also use a store-bought white chocolate sauce or coating in place of the homemade mixture. Just check the ingredients list to make sure it doesn’t have any unwanted colorings or flavorings that you don’t want in your White Trash Chex Mix.
Feeling festive? This recipe makes for a great holiday gift! Prep a big batch, package it up in cute jars or bags and include a label with the recipe name and your contact information.
Your friends and family will love munching on this sweet and salty snack all season long, and you won’t have to think long and hard about picking out unique gifts for each person. White Trash Chex Mix is known as a crowd-pleaser for a reason!
To avoid having huge clumps in your mix, give your White Trash mix plenty of space to spread out on a baking sheet.
If you’re making a double batch or using a smaller baking sheet, consider using two so each piece has room to cool separately from the other pieces. Use this method if you prefer individually-coated pieces rather than clusters.
Nutrition Information of White Trash Chex Mix Recipe
One serving of White Trash Chex Mix (about one batch as listed here) has approximately:
- 600 calories
- 28 grams of fat
- 81 grams of carbohydrates
- 8 grams of protein
No one’s claiming White Trash to be a healthy recipe by any means, but it’s also meant to be shared and enjoyed with friends and family. It’s certainly not a recommended portion for one person!
The White Trash recipe, we’ve shared, can be shared among 4 to 6 people for a moderate portion.
There you have it—everything you need to know about making your own White Trash recipe at home! It’s a sweet and salty snack perfect for satisfying any craving, and it’s easy to customize to fit your preferences.
Need a holiday gift idea? White Trash Chex Mix is the perfect simple solution for everyone on your list. Be sure to have plenty on hand the next time you’re hosting a party or get-together because this stuff goes fast!
I’ve made this a lot and have done what others have done
I made this recipe yesterday.